Hi Everyone!

Rose here – I know it has been a while since I’ve written a blog.  But I was thinking of everyone lately wondering how the spring season is treating everyone.

I know there are parts of the country that have had to deal with a difficult spring with  all the tornadoes that have gone through and destroyed everything.  My heart goes out to all of them.

Then there are parts of the country that don’t really get the changing of leaves, then all the snow, then a whole lot of rain then just plain old heat.

What I love about spring is that it feels like a fresh start to the year.  The dirt has been washed away by all the snow.  My flowers have bloomed as well as the bulbs that my underground animals didn’t eat.  My grass is growing and so are the weeds that need to be pulled.

I can start being outside a little instead of being inside all day long, get some fresh air and into my wood shop.  It is not heated so I do not get a lot of time out there during the winter months.  So when spring does come I end up with a list of projects that is longer then my arm.  This year I have half-finished project that I started before winter and then I just could not get it done before it got too cold.

However this year our weather has been rain, rain, and more rain.  Our grass is so tall, it is half way up to my knees.  But the problem is that our lawn is so wet that the lawn tractor will sink in and leave nasty tracks in the yard ( and to be honest that would just drive me crazy).

So with all the rain, my weeds and grass are getting tall.  But when I look out my window to the blooming flowers, it still makes me smile.

So my question to all my friends is what is spring for you, what is the weather doing at your place in this world?

I would love to hear what you have to say.

22 Responses to “Spring Has Sprung?”

1. Anita J Campbell says:

I too feel like spring is a new beginning, although it is very different where I now live. I’m originally from MO, but have been living in TX for 6 years full time. Before that my husband and I traveled in our RV (5th wheel) Our flowers here bloom all year long. We do have some cooler weather in Dec. and Jan. We had a freeze this year and lost several trees and blooming things. The birds migrate through here and we get to see many species in the spring. It is a lovely time of year. With so many people getting too much rain, we haven’t had rain since last Sept. But,we still love it here. I’m afraid this was much longer than you had wanted.

2. Leigh Anne says:

Spring to me is starting everything new. I live in central Florida. The weather here right now is in the mid 80′s during the day and 60′s at night. We already have our air conditioners going full blast. The grass is green and the flowers are beginning to bloom. Even my trees are happy and growing.
    All in all spring time for me is a time for cleaning up and clearing out. That includes doing a spring cleaning in my home. Taking the things I haven’t used in a year to be donated. Cleaning out my vehicle and shed are including on the “to do” list. It is also a time to appreciate the beautiful things that you see everyday like a rose, gorgeous clouds in the brilliant blue sky, watching a butterfly land on a flower. It is a time when you feel good about being alive.

3. lyn says:

I’m afraid if I was you I would need to buy myself a heater. I’m a art/crafter and I could not stand having projects screaming at me. My studio is in a non-air conditioned warehouse, so I can sympathize with you.
    Our weather in Texas has been OK. Not too cold but now the rains have caused some problems, but not as bad as it has been in Alabama, and Missouri and further east and north.
    My garden is in and doing well (I garden in above garden containers) The squirrels are delighted to see me out working for them. They invite their friends to participate in their great find of a fine buffet. This year they are in for a surprise because I am building wire screened boxes to go over everything. I do intend to have at lest one tomato this year. Let them do their own planting.
    So basically, all is well and normal.

4. Barbara says:

Springtime in the Rockies is a myth. I live at the base of Pikes Peak and it is as white now as it has been all winter. It is beautiful but I am ready for some warmth. We have had almost no moisture all winter so some rain would be nice. Wish there was some way of getting the extra moisture going to other places. Happy Spring to everyone.

• Evelyn says:

South Dakota is too and I am so glad I don’t live in North Dakota this year.

5. Michael says:

It has been quite a while since your last post on your blog, mine too but at least you have your thriving business trudging along in this volatile business climate. I have basically given up but that is not the first time. This time I will go for it because it is better to fail than not have tried. Still not really Spring up here in the North East Either but we have had some great days and just a little too much rain.

6. Chas says:

My boat sprung a leak, I lost the paddle to my canoe, my ski-doo won’t start and I just put on my long johns and I need to get my mail. Oh yes I live in AR.

7. Jeanie says:

I too am a lover of Spring, for much the same reasons as Rose. I live in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. Gladly, the snow is gone, it has been cool so far, however, the grass is green, cut once and growing rapidly, dandelions smiling brightly from among the blades. Crocuses have come and gone, daffodils are blooming, no tulips so the rodents must have needed them to survive the winter, and the lilacs are in full bud. Excess water is not a problem at my place, rather the opposite is true, so no garden, just a few containers on the deck which I make good use of. Hummingbirds and back enmass, and the Violetgreen Swallows, rebuilding in their nest box. The Meados Lark awakedn me each morning around 5, soon followed by the Robin, the Canada Geese across the river make themselves known night and day. There are Bald Eagles who fish in the river, and we have one, very large, Golden Eagle who is redident also wonderful to watch their graceful ballets in the sky. There are deer in the yard almost daily, and in fall the bear come to clean up whatever berries there are. There are a family of Marmots who inhabit the rock wall and outcroppings nearby and family of Blue Grouse who spend the summer dustbathing and drinking from the water I put out in the flower bed. All is well and the sun is shining today to make it all quite wonderful. Just thought I’d share what it’s like in this part of the world with any who might be interested.

8. Sally says:

I am in the Pacific Northwest and we have had a long,wet,snowy season. Last Fall was so short that the leaves were still turning when snow flurries started. We had snow this past Sunday! Today is sunny but with huge thunderclouds. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? My poor daffodils tried to bloom, then got snowed on! Baby wild ducks on my pond, a coyote sneaking up to look and drool, ground squirrels piling up mounds everywhere…so the local wildlife thinks it’s Spring. More rain in the forecast by Thursday, so it’s hit and miss getting anything done outside. Lots of downed tree limbs and a couple of downed trees from some heavy winds, so that means work and firewood for next Winter. I love the cold, rain and storms, and could do with a very short Summer.

9. Susanne says:

I am finally seeing the new buds and leaves on the trees. I love the beautiful bright colors green, pink, yellow, etc. I love all the flowers. Even the dandelions are a welcome sight. I love that the birds are happily chirping. The grass is growing and there is no snow to shovel. My daughter happily plants flowers in front of the house. There is no frost to scrape off my windshield. I still haven’t mowed the grass either :-)

10. Elizabeth says:

I am feeling so much better now that Spring has sprung. We, here in the U.K. had a terrible winter but the driest March and April and for the last couple of weeks we have had glorious weather, with lots of sunshine, even if the wind tends to be a little too rough! I have planted lots of things for my balcony and the flowers are now starting to open and look lovely. I hope that your weather will soon change for the better and that we won’t be having our usual rainy summers.

11. TOM BOYLEN says:

I REALLY ENJOY SEEING NATURE COME BACK TO LIFE. I HAVE SEVERAL RED BUD TREES.MOUNTAIN LAUREL IS NOW IN BLOOM. SOME OF MY DIFFERENT BUSHES HAVE ALREADY BLOOMED AND THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL. CAROLINA JASMINE OOO MY SO PRETTY. EASTER ROSE VINE WAS FULL(GONE NOW) 5 DIFFERENT COLORS OF AZALEAS . A SIGHT TO BEHOLD. I LOVE TO WATCH NATURE OPEN HER EYES AND STRETCH HER LIMBS TO ENFOLD ME IN THE BEAUTY OF GOD’S LOVE. BUT NOW, I HAVE TO START BLOWING LEAVES AND SWEET GUM BALLS SO I WONT FALL WHEN I AM WALKING. LIFE CAN BE BEAUTIFUL AT 83……….SOOOO FAR SOOO GOOD…………TOMMY BOYLEN

The snow finally melted and the grass is green and growing. We had a little snow Sunday (5-1-11) and a small accumulation but this was only an introduction for another cold front coming through. We have been holding our breaths because the Sioux River is just North of the town and it has already flooded. We are flooded all around our little town but not in the town itself. With all the tornados and flooding going on in the Southern states I feel what we went through with snow this winter and what little flooding we have had it would be ashame to even complain at all. I just got an e-mail from a Pastor in Mississippi asking for us to pray that God will have mercy on their town. I have friends in Indiana that their home is under water. I know everyone is wanting spring to be over so the tornado season will be over. We are here in South Dakota for sure.

13. Judy says:

Here in Michigan, Spring has not decided if it is here officially or waiting to come in with a boom. Our weather is not typical. The trees and bushes are budding. The bulb flowers are finally showing, the garden centers and local stores are offering sales on hanging baskets, flats of plants, fountains, mulches, the whole nine yards to having a beautiful yard. It is currently 42° and is expected to drop to 28° tonight. What plants I have purchased are either tucked inside my portable greenhouse or are spending nights in the garage after being outdoors during the warmer daytime temps.

On a brighter note, the males of the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, the White Crowned sparrows, the Baltimore Orioles, and the Ruby-throat Hummingbirds have visited our yard and feeders as they pass through on their journey north. If all goes well, OUR warm weather visitors will be taking up residence by next weekend, Mothers Day weekend. I do know the male Orioles have been here before as they know exactly where to find the cups of grape jelly. :-)

If we have to wait a bit longer for warm weather, I will still feel Blessed as our weather has been a piece of cake compared to what other parts of the country has endured this past winter and spring.

14. Rose Wunderlin says:

I live in W. Pennsylvania. I love spring too, but have only seen a couple days of it. We have had twice the normal rain. Swish I could send some to those that need it. Also a lot of up and down temps. But spring means summer is close. Hope the rain dries up a bit here. Everyone have a wonderful spring & summer.

15. Scott Workman says:

I live in Costa Rica so know about the rainny season..it just started here..we hove only two seasons..summer and winter..both last 6 months

16. I also live in Vernon, Texas. Last night the weather man said possible frost, the forcast for Sun.and Mon., three digits!!!!!!

17. Anne Steacy says:

oops!! my fingers got carried away in my initial post, sorry.
    Here in British Columbia, Western Canada, Spring is desperately trying to make an appearance and we have slow but sure signs that it won’t be too long now!!! After a dismally long and snowy Winter, we are so ready…….

18. Jean Dunlap says:

Here in central Kentucky the dogwood is still in bloom, the new roses I planted last fall (and the iris) have begun to bloom, the trees are finally all green, the wild blackberries are in bloom so I hope in July I remember where all I saw them. :-) We’ve had a LOT of rain, it seems, but I don’t mind; we get enough beautiful days we can get outdoor work done. Saturday was gorgeous, and I hoed (in my son’s garden), planted some in the garden, raked, wheelbarrowed trash I raked…I had mongociously sore muscles! But I’ll do it again as soon as I get a chance. :-) Praise God for another SPRING!!!!! \O/

I live in Arizona, so there isn’t a spring, per se. It is already 90+ degrees out. We don’t have problems with it getting cold; rather, we have problems eith it getting too hot.

20. Bob Culp says:

I live in the central valley of Cal., and boy did it rain. From about Dec.1st. to the end of Jan. it rained 7 saturdays of those 2 months. I sprayed my fruit trees 3 times and I guess the rain washed off the fruit tree spray. Nice spring weather now, but almost all my fruit tree have curley leaf and little fruit. I’ve heard everyone here in the valley has my problem. O’well next year I hope

21. Susan says:

I live along the Mississippi River where it runs from East to West. The river flooded badly and so many suffered damage. Southward toward Illinois and Missouri really got flooded after the Army Corps of Engineers blew up part of the levee. What a mess! So many have suffered; please help all you can.