Know what I dread about this time of year?

Could it be the hordes of shoppers, traffic, and credit card bills?  Could it be the huge lines at the return counter the day after Christmas?  Well, what about that lousy fruitcake I got from Gary (who’s incidentally not getting a raise this year)?

Answer -  none of the above.

Nope what really chaps my merry ass is the incessant question everyone seems to ask, “Hey Steve, what’s your New Year’s resolution?”

Of course, before I answer, the questioner typically enlightens me by continuing, “Personally, I’m going to lose 50 lbs, run a marathon, earn $500,000 dollars selling T-shirts with funny slogans, get a new car, go to Disney World, wash the cat, break the world record for spit-ball distance blowing, run for president, end world hunger, and finally talk to the doctor about that embarrassing itch.”

So, with an air of smug superiority that can only come from a person who has just set a bunch of goals but hasn’t lifted a finger to start a single one, they challenge, “So, what are YOU gonna do? huh? huh?”

My answer?

I tell them, “Simple – I’m keeping the resolution I set years ago never to make another resolution.”

This is usually greeting by a perplexed look, followed shortly by an eye roll, then finished off with the word “slacker” muttered under their breath as they walk away.

And the truth is, next year at this time, I’m probably the only guy left standing that’s actually accomplished what he set out to do on the first of January. :)

Why no resolution for me? I look at it this way – If a goal is important enough to warrant my time, energy, and enthusiasm, it’s important enough to start it when it occurs to me that it might be a good idea. On the other hand, if there’s a goal I can put off to an arbitrary date on a calendar before I start working towards its achievement, then it’s probably not all that important after all.

I think that’s why the vast majority of New Year’s resolutions fail, sometimes epically. The goals people set tend to be more of a feel-good wish list than something they are actually willing to put the effort into accomplishing. That, and since everyone else is doing it, they figure they probably should too.

To me, a real goal has to be something I TRULY want to achieve – deep down. Not just something I felt compelled to do simply because the calendar rolled over to another year and the rest of the gang is playing along.

So,  join me this year and make your final New Year’s Resolution – never to make another one. From now on, when you want to accomplish something in your life, just start doing it – regardless of the date. Works for me :)

Happy New Year,

~Steve

PS – Agree? Disagree? Think I should be committed? Post your comments below!

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Resolution, Schmesalution”

1. Reb says:

Hey Steve!

I’m with you. 70 years ago when i was 14, i made that very same resolution, ‘n I have never broken it. My mother was always after me to make New Years Resolutions, ‘n I just got fed up ‘n in 1941 I firmly resolved to not make any more. I am still adhering to it.

I like your new Blog.

Reb

2. Mary says:

I hear ya and could not agree more. You’ve stated my philosophy better than I ever could, and none of the “quit dates” (or “start dates” for that matter) are January 1 of any year!

I agree wholeheartedly, Steve…

4. Dwight says:

You know , every body always make a resolution , and they don’t work out , like , ” I’m going to , loose weight , stop smoking / drinking , and on it goes ” , but they don’t . This is why I make my resolution , a few years ago , ” I will drink like a fish , smoke more then a coke factory , gain as much as I can this year and become a manwhore ” and , up till now , I make every one of then . All but the last one , my girlfriend won’t let me be the man I want to be .

5. Diane Henschke says:

Yep Steve, you are absolutely right! If it’s a good enough goal to set, it’s good enough to do right away & not wait until the 1st of the week, month or year!! Of course, I DID give considerable thought to my goals on Dec. 31st & it just so happens that the 1st of January is the day to get started–now this doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m following the pack because being a senior, I’ll probably forget what it is I wanted to do & I WON’T start it today. Therefore, I’ll be starting my goals on the 2nd or the 3rd……..you get the idea. But yes, I DO agree with you 100% & by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU & YOUR LOVED ONES!!

6. Doral says:

New Year’s Resolutions are for losers.

7. EDW says:

Don’t ya feel a lot better knowing that there is no “goal” you must spend the year tyrin’ to meet? Resolutions are for those that have no other real purpose in life. If it feels good, DO IT!! And forget all that crap about doing it tomorrow; tomorrow may never come.

Have another fabulous year!!

8. Collene says:

Steve, as usual you nailed it on the first try. I have always thought that New Years resalutions were stupid. I have not changed my mind in all these years. Yes I am a senior and proud of it. Sure hope for the best for you and World Start in 2011.

9. Myrtis says:

Steve, I am glad to see someone else feels this way, I have always felt if something is worth making a resolution about it is worth doing now. Wishing you and all the gang at Worldstart the best in the new year. Keep up the good work.

10. Pat says:

1-1-11 2:46PM

If you were to be committed for those sentiments I think you’d have a lot of good company!!

I am a firm beliver in DADT (Don’t Ask Don’t Tell) or “What resolution.”

12. Steven says:

You hit it right on the head, if it’s a worthy goal it should be started immediately, not put off til the first of the year. Have a great new year.

13. Matt v says:

Made the same one 60 years ago, and it has served me well.

14. Bob says:

I made resolutions every new year up until now. You are so right about “if it’s important enough at the time then do it!” Forget new year resolutions.

15. Rose Wunderlin says:

I wholeheartedly agree. If resolutions made on New Years Day worked, we should have done them before that.

16. WayneW says:

Noticed in the second paragraph something about Gary not getting a “rise” this year. That’s so sad to hear. I get stuff in my spam folder all the time claiming to help with this. I can forward the emails if Yall’d like.
    Try to have a decent year regardless of this malady.

Best Wishes To All,
    Wayne

17. Pastor Dan says:

You’ve got a lot of company, Steve. In 1958 at age 18 I made my last resolution also – and I haven’t broken it.
    And something else I’ve done – I’ve stopped making outrageous promises that never are kept. I simple offer to attempt to do my best on every project in which I participate, but I never promise perfect results.
    Happy New Year, everyone! ;)

18. Bon says:

I feel the same way, Steve. Haven’t made a resolution since my early 20′s and feel great about it!

Happy New Year!

19. Philip says:

Hey Steve, I could not agree with you more. What is the use of setting a resolution when its not kept. I stopped making them years ago and I am in my early 50′s!

20. John Lapitsky says:

How much you want for the fruitcake?

21. Henry says:

I agree about 60 yrs ago I said the same thing.

22. Susanne says:

I agree with the no resolution resolution. I am dreading the hoards of people who resolve to lose weight etc and mess up my work out time but within a few weeks (sometimes far less) the gym will be mine again. It is funny how these people that couldn’t make time to achieve a goal think suddenly on January 1st they are going to be able to dedicate themselves to this goal.