I’ve talked about my Facebook woes in the past here on the WS Blog, and I’m happy to report that everything worked out fine in that area. My mom and I exchange wall posts, and best of all, she has no excuse in not knowing what’s going on in my life anymore – a problem we’d had in the past. Now she knows everything – right down to the brand of pickles I had on my sandwich last night.

Yeah, it’s all good there, but something’s gotta be done about Nick.

Who’s Nick, you ask? Oh, just an old buddy from back in high school that located me a few months back and asked to be my digital friend. At first it was good to talk to him, but after a bit I noticed a trend developing. Nick was posting songs, videos and random jargon at such an alarming rate that I was unable to see anyone else’s posts -even my moms! If I wanted to see what everyone was up to, I’d have to dig 3 or 4 pages deep to find it! What is this? Myspace!?

Funny thing is that I really didn’t notice how much he had been posting until he announced that he was going “dark” for awhile; not only from Facebook, but any form of electronic communication whatsoever. He said it would be like “being a kid again”; like “being 10 years old and stuck with just your imagination and a few toys” –in his case, books.

And as my other Facebook friends’ posts floated to the top again and Nick’s disappeared I realized something potent:

I could never do that.

I’m sure I’ll be forced to someday, but not for any great length of time (barring a zombie outbreak or nuclear war, that is), so why even hypothesize? I love my technology! I’m actually just about to switch my phone service over so I can use my shiny new Droid as my full time phone. That means Internet anywhere and all the media streaming my brain can handle!

But if I did go off the grid for awhile, I wonder what would happen? I already read quite a few books during a month’s time, so how many could I put down if I didn’t have the Internet, gaming, my Droid, TV and all the other stuff I usually occupy my time with?

The mind boggles…

So what do you think? Could you survive without the Internet for a month? Could you turn off the TV for a few weeks? Share your thoughts! I’d love to read ‘em!

~Andrew

41 Responses to “Going Dark”

1. Judy says:

I have wondered about that. Of course if something forced me to go without TV or my computer I could. But, to choose to do that? I can’t see myself wanting to do that. It might be good for me to experience using more of my OWN mental resources and to discover books and ‘conversation’ one on one again. :)

2. Lucretia Crawford says:

I’ve done it–gone dark, that is. I’m still trying to catch up.

• Evelyn says:

Amen, Lucretia. I don’t get on as often as I would like anymore but just a couple of days off the computer for fun and it takes me two weeks to get a couple of days done and by then I am off for a time again. I just gave up on catching up….I “show read” then answer at least 5 e-mails from each friend as I can then when I get those done I will “show open” again and start all over. Sometimes I get so logged up that I have to select all and delete. I send a message to all my friends letting them know about it and they all understand as I am sure they are having the same problem. :-)

3. Donna says:

I could live without electronics and TV for a few weeks, if I had to. I do alot of Crafts and paint, and I’d love to catch up on reading.
    Don’t know about my Hubby though????????????

4. LaQuiet says:

I would probably enjoy time off the web and tv for a month. I love to read. If I had my way, that’s all I’d do but other things prevent it for me. Not anything to do with the net. It’s just my eyes go blurry after about 2 hours of reading and I can’t even see the tv after that. So I have to have something to do instead of reading all the time. *sigh*

5. Julianne says:

I’m quite sure that I could survive without the internet… but why bother to find out?

I’m 56 years old and I remember “The Good Old Days” quite well… so I have no desire to repeat them. Life goes on and all that.

MY good old days weren’t all that great. I’ll take now, with all its good, bad, and the mundane in-between.

6. Jane Belk says:

I did it last month. I was off the internet for 2 weeks. I felt so free and unhampered. I read books. Went for walks. Watched the birds. Just did nothing. I loved it. The hard part was deleting all the hundreds of e-mails in my junk mail box. Try it, you might like it. Jane

• Evelyn says:

Oh WOW!!! I don’t think I could handle getting junk mail in my e-box. My ISP takes care of that and what it doesn’t catch Norton does. I have actually been off the computer for 3 months before and I hated it. I call my ISP and ask them to delete all the mail.

7. Shirley says:

I agree I could do with out it all. But why at 73 should I.? The good OLD days are just that old..so out with the old an in with the new..I love it all.. My facebook rocks.

• Dee says:

I agree with you about out with the old & in with the new. Perhaps I have gone too far, though…at 74 I not only got my nose pierced, I also got a tattoo!!

8. Eric Grunewald says:

I haven’t watched broadcast TV in several years, and don’t miss it. Internet for family communication and various amusements (other than work) would be tough to do without. But don’t want it with me all the time, so I don’t have a very smart cell phone, nor portable laptop. Not into the social sites (facebook, myspace, twitter, etc) as that’s just too involved. Anyone remember radio? NPR & BBC whenever I can listen,
    and still get things done around the house, while driving or in the bath, working out or jogging. I’m also mid-50′s and enjoy other things in life.

• Evelyn says:

My hand is up on the radio, Ericl The one thing I enjoy about being on the computer and working on the computer is my radio. I love the easy going music and the Oldies. Our radio station plays them all and it is easy going for even working time on the computer listening to music and songs that you can hear the words and there is no loud and shrill music playing. Oh, yes….love my radio.

9. Daniel Pruitt says:

Andrew, I’m 61 this year and I definitely remember the BC (before computer) days. I would have no problem going without the marvels of computers. I remember my first computer, a TI 99A that was absolutely prehistoric. My next one was a Tandy TX 1000, (if I remember the numbers). I am so glad to have a modern computer, but….it isn’t essential to my life. I use it as a tool, nothing more. So, yeah, I could get along without it.

• Evelyn says:

LOL …. my first computer was a keyboard and the TV….my second one was a Tandy also. When the 7 1/2 floppy bit the dirt I took a giant step with Gateway. Stayed with them on 2 more computer then got Della a few years back. So far I have updated Della three times. Same old dress just better education in her. :-)

10. Marilyn says:

I suppose I could go a month without any electronics, but do I want to? Absolutely not!
    When my computer dies, I still can use my husband’s. And if my TV were to quit working I would likely purchase a new one.
    I love electronics, and I am over 70. We are never too old to learn.

11. Ellen says:

Like Julianne and Shirley, the good old days are just that – OLD. I am almost 58 and have no intention of going back as long as the good Lord’s willing and the creek don’t rise. And yes Shirley. Facebook rocks!

12. TOM BOYLEN says:

WELL, NOW, THATS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. SAW A PROGRAM OTHER DAY. OPRAH! THEY HAD A FAMILY WHO DID JUST THAT. THE FATHER,MOTHER , SON AND LITTLE BOY. THEY GOT BACK “INTOUCH” THAT IS GOOD FOR A FAMILY TO TAKE THEIR NOSES OUT OF THE TV OR PC AND ACTUALLY “TALK” TO EACH OTHER.
    I AM 83 AND HAVE BEEN LEARNING THE PC FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS OR SO. I FIND IT KEEPS MY MIND ACTIVE AND KEEPS ME FROM GETTING “MOULDY” WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO OCCUPY YOUR MIND BESIDES “MINDLESS” DRIBBLE THAT YOU SEE 24/7 ON THE TV. I STILL WATCH CERTAIN PROGRAMS ON THE TV BUT………..I ENJOY THE DAILY KNOWLEDGE OF THE INTERNET. I FEEL LIKE I AM OPENING UP MY MIND TO THE WORLD AROUND ME AND THE WORLD IS AT MY FINGERTIPS………………SO, ALL YOU OLDER FOLKS, GET A PC AND START LIVING TODAY……………NOT IN THE YESTERYEARS . THOSE DAYS WERE GREAT BUT WE ARE NOT IN THE STONE AGE NOW……………….THANKS FOR LISTENING………………TOMMY BOYLEN

13. Shirley S says:

I remember sitting with my parents listening to President Roosevelt’s speeches during WWII. Just think! All
    we had to watch was the radio! Yes, I think I could do all right without the PC or telephones that impinge on my life. I probably would miss my majong games, but there is always a deck of cards. I will be 78 in a few days,so, I think I could survive.

14. Elanor Bagenstose says:

I would like to go to a cabin in the woods for a while with no means of communication and hope when I return to the rat race things will be better. I am 78 years old and let me tell you I don’t see where all this tecknology is making us better people.Children don’t know how to use their imaginations anymore to entertain themselves People don’t read many books anymore or play games with the family. Everything centers around violence. I feel like I have lived too long.

• Chuck says:

Elanor you have not lived to long. I am a year older and I still do a lot of reading in fact I have just finished my 134 book on the Civil War and never get tired of reading about the Civil War. You are right children don’t know how use there imagenation, but isn’t that the fault of the parents. I know of families that still play games and many other family things. My computer is used manly for communications and World Start and then I read, read, read. Take care Kiddo. LuvYa

15. Harold Higgins says:

“Going Black”… ‘Surely you jest,’ my fingers instantly started trembling when you mentioned ‘going ‘dark’ for awhile.’ My hands shot to the keyboard and my fingers began dry typing while I reading the rest of your frightening blog. TV I can live without, although I must admit to watching eight during the week of my favorites programs. Even so, no “Black Outs” for this old man here in Seattle.

To many places to go, to see, to learn about, and best of all, ‘there are just so many folks in all of those different places around the globe to talk to.’ Other than “Our Saviour, our family and friends and Mother Nature… you can’t beat modern technology.

~Harold~

16. Joyce says:

Being 66 I haven’t used computers for that long. I love FaceBook, but it can take over. Your feel obligated to answer and keep in touch with people you don’t even know. I know limit my time on it. Don’t miss television, can live without it, but not reading. Just started using a Nook, enjoy it, but doesn’t give you the satisfaction of holding and turning pages in a real book. So technology is great, but sometimes best to get bak to basics. Love your site

17. Jule Boatman says:

Hello Andrew,
    Going dark for some people would be cutting off all outside communication. There are a few like myself sometimes a funny email makes my day. Such as a few people that are on a fixed income that post on there wall to see pictures and messages of kin folk. Then there are the ones like myself who do not read that much and depend upon the net for most of their entertainment. You also would need a library of your own to find all the info you can get on the computer that fits on your desk.
    Thanks,
    Jule Boatman

18. Nance says:

Wow – TV I could do without but the internet – that is basically how I communicate. I’m 75 and this is a marvelous way to keep in touch with my family and friends. Phones don’t work so well as I have a severe hearing loss – email works great. I can still read and do enjoy that. Plenty to do without watching TV – I knit, quilt, read and take care of three little Chinese Cresteds. I enjoy technology and it’s been fun watching it change so rapidly through out the years.

19. Kercelia Fletcher says:

Yes, I did go dark for about a month last year, and it was very liberating. The only problem was that I had become so accustomed to my online friends and games that I had to come back. I’m actually thinking of giving it up again soon though.

20. Ernie White says:

I am 67 & the TV is on all the time for someone is alway’s watching it. There is 4 computers & 3 of them is always going too.
    I like facebook & myspace but I hate getting notes that someone wrote on my wall or something. If I knew how to stop that I would!!!
    I read a lot from the History channel, all the WorldStart stuff, & a few others I subscribe to. I am aslo into wheresgeorge.com where I track my bill’s.
    Dollar bill’s that is.
    So I guess all the electronics is here to stay in this house. We had a Power outage a few times one lasting over a week. I now have a gas power electric generator it’s small only 2300 Watts but good for at least one computer & maybe the TV. I think we are all hooked…

Ernie

• Evelyn says:

Tom, you are so correct. The way the world is today, people do not visit the way they use to and that includes neighbors. It use to be everyone on the block knew each other and their kids….not any more. They know that Dick and Jane live across the street but haven’t a clue what their last names are or how many children they have. Every one smiles and speaks a “Hi” to one another but no conversation at all. One talks to the cash register clerk at a store more than they talk to their neighbors. With the computer…..I have friends all over the States and Europe. My Canadian friends are just wonderful and believe it or not I have even met some of them in person.

I could go without TV for awhile, but not the internet. In 2000 I had to have my voice box (Larynx) removed due to cancer. Now I have to talk artificaly and sound like a tobot. Using the telephone is really hard as people can barely understand me. Just to spell my name when they ask who I am I have to use the Phonetic Alphabet. Try doing that for a whole sentance. So TV yes but Internet NO. By the way I am 79.

22. Mike says:

My only problem with “going dark” is that is how I make my living. I am an independent contractor, and get my job assignments over the “net. So, basically if I went dark, I’d lose a major source of income.

I couldn’t do it, either… I’m pretty good about picking and choosing what I connect to already, but the things I use, I need to stay in touch with every body…

24. Susan says:

I appreciate all of you and what you have shared and taught me. But, no offense, yes I could go dark. For over 20 years I have cared for rescue Shelties and kept them until GOD said he would care for them. I have three, now, and they are more than a handful as they are emotionally and one has been physically damaged. Well, they are loved a lot and are responding well. One of our boys a little pure Sheltie was left to die in a puppy mill because he could no longer produce. He is doing great after two years now. He is three and the first year, he never touched the ground. The dogs were piled on cages. So, if you folks are worrying what you would do if you had to go dark—think about helping at an animal shelter.
    My library is full of unread books as well. So, this old lady would miss your company, but my puppies would love me, too!

• Evelyn says:

That is so going the right way, Susan. My babies are American Eskimos and I love my stubborn little babies. If you have never loved an animal,
      part of your soul is unawakened and to the world you are a person. To a rescued dog, you are the world. I set time in the mornings, at noon and in the afternoons to just play with the Eskies. They love to play. I don’t think they ever grow up. I have had 14 year olds that come play time they would become puppies at play. They will keep anyone young and when they get old and it is time for them to go wait for you over the Rainbow Bridge they will still be trying to please you with their last bit love. There has been only one that has loved a person more than a dog will love and that has been Jesus.

I am so glad to meet you Susan.

25. Mary says:

Being in my mid 50′s, I have become agoraphobic, can get out in yard, but a mess if leaving property. The computer has become my link to the outside world.
    Friends are busy and we don’t talk often on phone. So it’s a quick email here and there. Technology is an amazing thing. So much info out there.
    Friends(only a couple) without puters tease me about being on so much, but yet if they want an answer about something? They call me, to look it up for them.
    I get called for simple tech support, fortunatly been able to help friends over phone. I have crashed my own at times(learning things) but never crashed any friends yet. I find it very interesting to learn the many things on here. Have a dear departed older friend that would often say
    “The only thing about the good old days is, they are gone” It could be interesting to try going black a week at a time. I am not a news junkie, but do like to see a bit of news on occasion. Definatly weather.So TV would be used for that.

26. Shelby says:

As long as I could check my bank account and read Worldstart, I could do without the rest. Hate Facebook and My Space. I have a cell phone but only use it when I leave the house and rarely turn it on. I’d rather read.

27. Marie says:

Hello to all;
    With out my computer I would be a raving idiot. I will be turning 79 this year and am a widow of 7 years and really miss my husband as we did everything together,well almost. He had a heart attack and I didn’t. We have 3 very loving children and they still are my sweethearts. Only one is married and the other 2 have decided it is very good to take care of Mom and stay single. I could not ask for better caretakers. My married daughter also takes care of me when my other two go to work, Jehovah has blessed me dearly.
    Thank you so much for letting me vent.
    Hope each one of you finds peace and happiness is this old world.
    Marie

28. Matt says:

There’s NO WAY I could.Either computer or TV.Dad could–easily. He and his twin sis didn’t have a TV when everyone else started to.(Born in 1941.) I was born a quarter–century+ after him. Mom couldn’t,either. I wouldn’t want to try,I don’t think.If I HAD to do it for the environment,then maybe I could. MAYBE. But,it’d still be VERY tough.I couldn’t have been on the O.J. jury for this reason alone.

29. Jane says:

Just a few days ago my hard drive decided to die. So I was without a desktop computer for awhile and it wasn’t so bad. I got out of a lot of my ‘secretary jobs’, picture printing jobs, e-mailing jobs and other things you do on the computer. I am a papercrafter and I got a chance to really enjoy making cards with origami, iris folded cards, tea bag folded cards, stamped cards, paper piercing cards and more! I don’t think the mail person we have was too happy but I got to send real cards to real people. It was a blast. Too bad in a few days the hard drive was repaired and I got stuck doing the same old, same old computing. Until something drastic happens. I will just have to make time to send cards to my shut-in pals and others who need a card of cheer. Thanks for letting me chat.
    Jane

30. Ben Pearlman says:

Life is for living. My BW and I are still in love. We absolutely cherish each other’s company. We laugh a lot.

We each have our own computer and we have different interests. However I, for one, feel that all these social sites are a bunch of nonsense. I don’t care what you had for lunch or when you last went to the bathroom. I positively feel that folks who use a cell phone while driving should be arrested and then made to play in traffic. What is the compulsion to be constantly connected? Can’t people THINK?

I’m 83 and I live a great life. We travel. We eat well (she is a fantastic cook). We grow lots of herbs and some veggies. Reading is a big part of our lives. When we married I had an extra room built just to house her books.

I spend a good deal of time on the computer, but mainly to learn things I don’t know enough about. What an unusual thought! Technology is important, but so is becoming a whole person, not a copy of the guy or gal who must be like everyone else in order to feel good. Look at yourself for inspiration. You might learn to like yourself just because you are you.

31. CR says:

Hmm….interesting question. I remember the times before computers. I’ve watched as technology grew to what it is today. Reading, going for walks, riding a bike, camping, and just sitting outside are things I’ve yearned to do for a long time. Things I used to be able to do. After an accident and injury I’m unable to do the simplest things. The things I am able to do are with assistance. The computer is my lifeline to the outside world. Many times it’s an escape and allows me to focus on something besides pain. I can talk with my family and friends online in real time, email, play games, share pictures and see those from events I’m not able to attend, even read books online (thank goodness there’s magnification!). On many occasions we’ve lost power and been in “the dark” and some of those times for days on end. While that’s great for those that can walk, move around, get out……it really isn’t so great for those homebound and unable to do physical activities or even semi-physical. I would not give up my computer or television unless I had no other choice. It’s about the only enjoyment I’ve got left.

32. Patti says:

Could I go completely “dark”?….No. I use phones and the internet to stay in touch with people that I don’t live next door to and see every day. TV is entertainment and learning and my husband and I watch together and discuss what we watch. As for reading, we limit ourselves to the six bookcases we have room for. We regularly trade books with family and friends, which gives us another opportunity for human contact.

I’m obviously on the internet enough to be reading blogs :-)

33. Cheap Insurance Quotes says:

Keep it clean, no wind and stay away from aluminum, it’s rather fickle!