I figure it’s been a while since I’ve had a good ol’e fashioned rant on here, so now seems like a good time. Are you ready? Good!

I WANT FLYING CARS!

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest. Now I can explain a little better.

I remember being younger and watching the entire Back To The Future trilogy. The first part of the trilogy ended with a scene that would forever change my life.

Doc Brown comes cruising wrecklessly into the driveway to tell Marty that they have to go “back to the future”. They hop into the delorean and back out of the driveway. At that moment Marty exclaims “Hey Doc, do you think we have enough road to get up to 88mph?”. Doc Brown replies “Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads!”

The car lifts off and disappears into the sky.

WOW. What a way to end a movie. You almost have to see the next one, right?

I’ve gotta say, they had me hooked. I was a believer. Flying cars were coming to a car lot near me. SOON.

For those of you that don’t know, the flying delorean in the movie was fictionally created in the year 2015. By my best math, that’s less than 5 years from now. I’m starting to get worried about the future of flying cars.

There are a couple prototypes out there (If you want to see one, click here), but they are not anywhere near what i was imagining in my head. These prototypes look like personal planes, not cars. They barely even work.

My childhood dreams are in major jeopardy! Someone please help to straighten this out!

Where are the advancements? Where are the production models? Where are the skyways!

Seriously, in the movie, almost everyone had flying cars in 2015. We are nowhere close! Am I the only one that cares?

~Gary

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “I Want Flying Cars”

Flying Cars? You got to be kidding. You think we have congestion now what would it look like with flying cars. I can just see it now 15 flying cars going after the same parking space. BAMMMMMMMM. Guess its time for me to go and see a few flying Pink Elephants.

2. Don Jones says:

Several types of flying cars. Something more practical is the Terrafugia. See http://www.terrafugia.com/photogallery.html

3. David Gibbs says:

I Liked that movie too Gary. I even got the chance to ride in the Delorean one time when we were on vacation in Florida. “Back to the Future”, what a blast. I’m with you Gary. I would love to have a flying car. It’s been a dream of mine since I was a kid, I’m 57 now and still want one. With todays tecnology (or the future) the cars could have sensors that would prevent other flying cars from coming to close to each other.

• Chuck says:

Oh Ya! Seems I remember that hyways were going to have electronics on the roads so you would not have to drive as these electronis would control everything, even passing. They said that 25 years ago and I am still waiting for that one. I knowof a party that has one of those cars that has that backup sensor and they still backed over there trash can.

• David Gibbs says:

They probably said “What’s that beeping sound for?” just before they ran over it. lol
        Yeah, I remember that. PS magazine back in the 60′s said we would be driving cars at 120 MPH on the turnpike system by the year 2000 or so ( I’m not sure what the date was now). The cars would have sensors to make them slow down if trouble was ahead.

4. Kitty says:

And I want to eat a pound of chocolate every day. That’s not going to happen either. LOL

5. Gay says:

Be like the Jetsons. I loved the way they had their own little personal flying machine. People needs to learn to drive a car without wrecking before they get in a flying machine. Can you imagine hitting someone in mid air. That would hurt bad.

6. Dwight says:

You know , Gary , when I was a kid , they sent a rocket to the moon , and they said back then , that in the year 2005 , we will be living on the moon . Well , you don’t see anybody getting ready for the move don’t you ? They said , back then , that in a few years , like around 2010 , that there will be a community on Mars . That’s a long , long , long ,long ,long time before we even send a rocket there , I mean with an astronaut . Or any place other than the moon . They said that every body will have a computer , or that we won’t use paper any more either . Neither has happened .

7. Sharon G. says:

Gary, don’t stop dreaming. It is okay to do that. Great dreamers have made dreams come true. Hey, look at the Wright brothers! And all the others who made there dreams come true.

ROFLOL ….. love it Gary. Let’s see. First there would have to be set rules on how to fly your car. Then there would have to be flying cops to take care of the speeding and drunk flyers. There would have to be tech controls to make sure you didn’t fly into the airlines and air force planes. And if you think the hoods are going to give up their fly by shootings just because it is in the air, well think again. If there was as many flying car wrecks and regular road car wrecks there would have to be safty nets over every city. Gary….you would not be alone up there….do you still want cars to fly? :-)

9. Grandma says:

LOL would there be traffic lights too?