Well do you?

What is it?

Hi Everyone, Rose here.  I have another question for our readers – what is your hobby?  What do you do to help pass the time? What is the thing you do to help yourself relax?

My hobby is woodworking.  That’s right, I can pretty much make anything out of wood.  However, the current project is something for WorldStart.  See, a couple weeks ago we sent out a survey asking our readers if they would be interested in computer tips on video.  The response was overwhelming, so here I am starting to do my part by build a desk for Steve and Gary to use while they are taping the tips.

Wonder how in the world I got interested in woodworking?

Well it happened when I was in the 7th grade.  The junior high I went to in Ann Arbor had a woodworking shop.  Well, of course I took the class, and did not have any clue what do with most of the tools and machines in the room.

Well, I was a fast learner, though, and loved everything I was doing.  It was so relaxing, and figuring out projects and how to build them came very easy for me too.  There I was, a young girl who just fell in love with chunks of wood because you could make any thing out of them.

I took the classes all 3 years in junior high.  Then I got very lucky because when my parents moved to Toledo the high school offered wood shop.  I jumped all over it! Got to take the classes for the next 4 years.  By the way that is how I met Steve (yes that’s right we are high school sweethearts). Thanks to the public schools I got 7 years of training and my husband (who’s still in training, BTW).

So all these years later I am still at it.  I love it!  I make everything and anything.  I have more custom furniture in my house now then I ever did in the past.  I mat and frame Steve’s photos that we want up in our house.

The best part is Steve’s grandfather, who is 85 years old, likes to do woodworking as a hobby too.  So whenever he is in town for a few days we always come up with something we can make together.  How cool is that? I get to make projects with Grandpa so then every time I look at the finished piece, I think of the time we spent together on the project.

The one thing that amazes people is that I do not draw out plans – most of the projects are done from my head.   Makes it easier to adjust it.  Once I think I have it figured out,  I get started.  It drives people crazy because they just can not see it like I can when I describe it. I just say, “Trust me! It will be done the way you want it.

Yes I still have some of the projects from my school days.  Our daughter Becky has the wooden box I made in ’87.  The doll cradle I made my senior year of high school is sitting in the attic waiting for the next little girl to come along in the family to play with it. (No, won’t be from me!)  That is the great thing about hobbies.  A lot of your work will be around a long time to reflect back on and to be passed along to the next generation.

So here is my question to you  – What is your hobby or what you do to help you relax when you had a long day?

I can’t wait to see what you say.

~Rose

PS -  I wanted to say I loved all the response on the construction barrels in your area.  I was laughing so hard at some of them, Steve came over to see what all the commotion was about!

68 Responses to “Do You Have A Hobby?”

1. Lauri McBeath says:

Search & Rescue volunteer. It’s an expensive but very rewarding hobby. My spare time is spent learning and perfecting skills and working/training my horse, which is one of my “tools” used for search & rescue.

2. Del Trosper says:

I downloaded Resident Evil 5 a couple of weeks ago and, even though its a”dusty” game, its the best Playstation3 game in my opinion =)

3. Sandy says:

In my spare time I like to knit, crochet and do word puzzles. Haven’t done much of these lately because I had surgery for carpal tunnel the other day and cannot hold hooks or needles and can barely hold a pen. Signing papers to get out of hospital was a hoot! LOL . At least I can use my left hand to type on computer or operate the mouse.

4. Bud Simonson says:

My hobby ia the same as yours….I’m 83 and still build things, if I can get into my shop (My son has taken it over).
    I started just like you in the 8th grade. My specialty is drawers…I can put a drawer in a wasted space easily.
    I loved your testimony.
    Bud

• "Wally" Wallace says:

I am 72 and retired. I was in law enforcement and other similar fields.

I enjoy working with “small wood”. I live in an apartment and do my work there. I have a scrool saw, and the others are aDremel tool and other sall hand tools. I use paint stirrers,broken broom handles, etc for making wheels and plywood (thin i/4″ or less) and sheet veneer. My supplies are donated by menards, home depot, lowes and most of all of the merchants in town.

I make gifts for friends, grandkids, but mostly make small wooden kits that I donate to the Two Childrens Hospital in town. The kids have to put them together and paint them Ater they finish they take them home when they leave the hosptals. I hope it makes their hospital stay more “FUN”. Would appreciate any input from you!

5. Roy Leggett says:

Guess what????I also do wood work. I’m 71 years old and after 36 years in the military I retired and had to have a hobby so I chose wood work.. My father was a carpenter/woodworker so learned a lot from him. I am now passing along to my 5 year old grand son. It’s actually a lot of fun and very relaxing. I also do repair work on furniture for the senior citizens and low income in the area at no charge, so a lot of tools and materials have been given to me because of the free work I do..

6. Athena says:

My hobby would be astronomy.

7. Irisfleur says:

I have always loved to dance. I studied ballet and modern dance when I was young. As an adult I took some ballroom lessons with my husband. Now I am combining dance with fitness and taking Zumba, Groove and Nia, which are all dance/fitness classes. Another hobby of mine is photography. I especially love digital photography because of the ability to enhance my photos on my computer.

8. Gracianne says:

I am 58 years old. I enjoy writing poetry and scrapbooking. I also crochet, am learning to quilt and am an avid “picture taker” and love all the things I am able to do with my digital camera. I enjoy the flower beds in the summer and walking for exercise. Spending time with the grandchildren, too.

9. Mary says:

Enjoy stripping old wood tables that have been painted. Love finding the natural beauty underneath. Aso starting to take pictures to find the beauty in the little things. The digital photography has made it alot cheaper, I used to waste so much money on film and developing. Now with weather getting better will be more bird pics and close up flowers.

10. Martha says:

I am into genealogy. I was never interested in history in school — didn’t care what happened in the past — Now, I wonder home come, why, when and where, etc my ancestors did what they did

11. Kathy Larson says:

My hobbies… I love music, playing guitar, ballroom dancing and Norwegian folk dancing, and singing with my sisters – we are called “Sisters Four” and will be performing for the Syttende Mai celebration on May 17. I enjoy baking breads and rolls, and special Norwegian Christmas breads. I love working on genealogy and family history. My husband and I enjoy our grandchildren, we love to travel, and especially enjoy cruises. Hand knitting and machine knitting are hobbies as well, and much time is spent at my computer. I am legally blind so through the years I’ve learned to adapt and do things a bit differently than those of you who are sighted. (I can hand-knit in the dark without any problem!)

12. Sue Aimes says:

Before my sister-in-law passed away she asked me to continue the family genealogy search. I started slow but with my daughter-in-law pushing and helping I got the bug. So, I spend part of everyday on the internet (a miracle for genealogists) searching everywhere for info about our families. I am also an avid book reader, photograper, and album creator. I am 80 yrs old and can’t imagine not being busy with my hobbies. What a drag to have nothing to do.

13. Joan C. says:

I collect music. I’ve been collecting for about 30 years or more. It started when I was young. One of my two brothers played his drums he had at home, and he used to listen to albums in our living room so he could get the drum beat to it, so I was exposed to music at a young age. In my younger days, there wasn’t any computers, just a radio or turntables, so as a kid, I would take a cassette player and put it by a radio to catch MY favorite tunes to listen to and keep. Then as a teenager, I started buying cassettes. Then cd’s came along, and I started buying them. Then the computer came available, and now I download all I need ( I know, but I dont sell anything, just for my own personal use). So now I have hundreds of cassettes, cd’s, and lp’s and records, although not many of the latter. And home made cd’s of hundreds of artist’s albums, and still going strong. It’s an addiction to me, and I spend most of my waking hours living and breathing, and studying music and its artists. So thats my love!

14. Chris says:

I started woodworking about 4 years ago. My first project was making picture frames for my pictures. Next I went into a more bigger project which is a very simple shelf for my books & pictures. I had a lot of fun doing it. I have no experience, non whatsoever, but for some reason I have always liked to work with my hands and I felt that that could be a lot of fun. I learned how to use the tools that my husband has and he was impressed. You see, my specialty is sewing. I have been so sewing for many years and I make all my daughter’s suits for work. I love it. I do though, want to take a class in woodworking because I love that too. I also love to dance.

15. Camille says:

I’ve done whittling all my life and always carry a penknife in my purse. I’ve sewn up two or three bad cuts on myself too. Being an RN came in handy there. My husband had to help with the knots on the stitches.
    I like to make candles, windvanes (of wood) and for years made windchimes of plexiglas, metal tubing and plastic line. I called my business Gong With the Wind.
    Interesting question, Rose, thanks for asking and for telling us about your hobby. Impressive!

16. Ernie White says:

My hobby is tracking my money. I found the site http://www.wheresgeorge.com after I got a 5 dollar bill with the address on. that was back in Jan. 2002…
    I now have tracked my bill’s in all 50 states plus Washington D.C. & I am in 11 other countrys. We have gathering all over the USA if you wish to go to one
    & you are a georger you are welcome. Anyone of you who reads this may have got a marked bill with the address on it. I am now 17 in the state of MO.
    My other hobby is fishing & hunting. I use to SCUBA dive but had to give it up for health reasons. I also have a Black Belt in Karate but at age 67 I droped of teaching..