I’m really into cool new technology, so when I saw this today, I just had to share it with  everyone.

Pretty cool, huh?

So sometimes I get really wrapped up in this stuff and totally get sidetracked from whether it’s really useful or not. I guess that’s the reason I’m writing this post.

There are a few of these personal transportation devices on the market. The most popular one being the Segway.  While all of these little things look impressive, are they really practical? When would they actually get any use?

I couldn’t imagine using a Segway. They are bulky and most likely don’t transport well. The only place to really use one would be around the house or locally since I’m not willing to buy a rack for my car (which BTW would look ridiculous since I drive a little sports car).

On the other hand, this device made by Honda looks a little more portable. It looks like I could just put it in my trunk and take it wherever I want. I could use it at the mall or the park or on vacation. It just seems more usable.

I’ll leave this open to you. What do you think about these personal transportation devices? Are they the future of movement or just a stupid gizmo that no one will actually use?

~Gary

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Who Needs To Walk Anyways?”

1. L A Graham says:

They’d have to come up with a battery that has a longer period of use before anyone would spend any serious money on this. And, to my thinking, I don’t care how well it “maintains its own balance,” I’d want to see something with at least a small platform/runningboard as a backup in case the balance failed. Probably might be used by shopaholics, but as an active retiree, I certainly wouldn’t risk using it. Segway may be bulkier, but it appears much more stable; they actually rent them in Vegas for tourists to run around on. I don’t think it’s practical, because there’s no secure “parking spaces” for them while you’re in a shop, restaurant, show, etc.

2. Susanne says:

There is a big blank spot where I assume a picture of the personal transportation device should be.

3. Collene says:

As someone with a disability that causes me to have to use a walker, with a few adjustments, such as longer battery life, stableizer of some sort, etc. I can see uses for this. As long as Medicare doesn’t have to approve it. ;o)

4. Gay says:

Susanne refresh the page and it will show up. I had to. I am fine walking. I am 65. Got arthritis and I hurt but I learned to live with it and walk. My daughter and I walk 1 1/2 to 3 miles a day. She is handicapped but makes me walk with her. To me this would be bothersome trying to find a palce to put it while shopping.

I think this is a great idea! As a handicapped person, I agree Collene; if medicare won’t approve it, my first question would be, “Why not?”

6. Tim says:

“”I couldn’t imagine using a Segway. They are bulky and most likely don’t transport well.”

Segways are easy to handle. I frequently take it on the train and take up far less space than a bicyle. They are easy to learn also.

From all I have seen on TV and on radio and newspaper USA hs the largest obesity problem in the world and now THIS. Seems that with this we will be getting even fatter. Next we will be having traffic control and cops inside the stores. I wonder how much liability insurance we will have to carry. Soirry but this is the dumbest idea since the invention of the wheel.

8. Kitty says:

I would fall flat on my face or some other part before I got two feet. I don’t know how someone with a disability could use this. It looks as though you need great balance and agility or you would fall right off. I think something to hold onto, other than that small seat, might be a hugh improvement. Handlebars come to mind……

9. Philip says:

Having a bad back along with bad legs, this device would be impossible for me to use without more back pain than I already have. I could walk better too than having to try to balance that thing. Diabetes have ruined my nerves and balance even though it might balance on its on. I would wind up falling flat on my face. Talk about a law suit!! Yes, I am in a Dr.s care and disabled. Just give me the old stuff we have now.

10. Eric Grunewald says:

I work in Airport Security and we have several Segways that our Airport Police use regularly. Very zippy and handy. This would be interesting, though with only one hour usage seems like it needs further development (more incentive for USA battery makers to tackle?)
    Spiffy idea, with the wheels within the wheel for turning. Balance isn’t the problem, as Segway has proved. I’d love to see further development on it, as a benefit for Postmen, Police, Shop Foremen, shoppers, the handicapped, and many other uses. Attach a pocket for a cable lock when not in use and chain it to a tree or street sign. Or use a key! While I agree that the USA is a country of lardasses that generally need more exercise, my parents could have used this in the house to get around in their final years when they both had difficulty breathing and
    transporting themselves. Definately has applications that should be pursued.

11. Doniphan says:

I think it’s just a stupid Gizmo! But it has potential.
    They need to improve, or provide, steerability. No one in any of the videos can control its direction. Maybe they need a separate control for making right and left turns. They need to get an expert to demo it instead of showing a bunch of newbies thrashing around out of control.
    It would be a great party toy! A lot of laughs! In a rubber room!

12. Dan says:

This has great potential for the handicapped, but it does need quite of bit of refining. Just from the video’s sample ride by the company exec, it is quite obvious that as designed, the individual riding it has to have an excellent sense of balance. The seat is way too small, there are no hand-grips to help steady yourself, and the “balanced” machine, as is, puts the rider in an unbalanced position. The footrest needs to be extended out to front, the seat needs a small back and sides for proper support, and the battery life must be increased to a minimum of 2 hours (4 would be much better).

As one who suffers with arthritis and and knee joint problems which limits my mobility, a device similar to this (with the suggested improvements) would be extremely useful. It might even put fun back into getting to places that I now tend avoid because of the difficulty walking. Even just riding around the block on such a device would increase the amount of exercise that I now get. Guiding this device with body movements is certainly more exercise than just sitting in a lounge chair on on a couch watching TV or playing with a computer.

13. Gay says:

The trouble with older people using this, as you know if you had an aged parent staying with you, you had to help them through the house so they wouldn’t fall. Their balance is off so they couldn’t use this thing. My mom did good to walk without falling.

14. Michelle says: