So… Have you seen our new shopping cart????? Have you????

No, this isn’t a sales pitch to try and get you to buy something (there are other people here in charge of that). I am just super excited about this cart and I would really like everyone to check it out. I built it from the ground up with you in mind, so I really hope you like it.

“Why?”, you ask? Well… where do I begin….

I guess I’ll start from the beginning. On a bright morning in 1981, I was born and from that very day I knew that it would be my destiny to slay the hideous, evil shopping cart at worldstart.com.

Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration. I’ll tell the real story now.

Like I mentioned in my first blog post, I am the person at worldstart that makes the website do stuff. Over the last couple years, we have re-vamped pretty much everything including the whole WS tips site, the worldstart wallpaper and the worldstart message board. The only thing left to do was the software store.

I don’t know how many of you shop with us, but if you do, you have probably had some sort of issue with our old cart at some point in your life. The old cart had some issues that just could not be fixed. Let me rant about some of those right now.

1. The coupon code box was in the most ridiculous position known to man. Do you know where it was? It took me 10 minutes to find it the first time I used the cart.

2. The login process was a disaster. - I have spent literally hours on the phone with people trying to help them log in. The worst part was that you didn’t even have to log in to make a purchase, but you sure as heck couldn’t tell that by looking at the thing.

3. Paypal didn’t like us. – I’m sure there is someone reading this right now that knows exactly what I mean. You could try to pay with Paypal, but your order would be rejected and your shopping cart would be emptied.

Those are truly just a few of the issues that we had with the old cart.There are many more, but I’m not trying to write a novel here. What I’m really trying to do is tell you about how we fixed all of these issues!!!!

I started building our new, shiny cart about 2 months ago. I started with one blank page on my computer screen and just kept typing until I was done (I’m tired now, LOL). There is nothing from the old cart that was brought into this new cart. Everything is brand new.

First, the checkout process has been streamlined so there is no account confusion. When you begin checkout, you will simply be asked for your email address. NO MORE GUESS WORK. If you have an account, you will be asked for your password. If you don’t have an account, you will be taken to step one of the checkout where an account will be automatically created for you. We did this so you could always find your order history and every order made was organized in one place for you.

Second, usernames are no longer just names. Your username is your email address. Again, NO MORE GUESSWORK. If you know your email address, you know your username.

Third, store credits are managed on your account. For those of you who have taken us up on our very easy to use return policy, this will become very useful. For those of you that don’t know, Ill explain now. We have a 60 day, no questions asked return policy. If you buy something from us, you can return it within 60 days for any reason. When you return something, you have the option of receiving your refund back to your credit card or as a store credit.  In the past, we would issue store credit in the form of a gift certificate. These certificate numbers were hard to use and often lost. With the new cart, there is, you guessed it, NO MORE GUESS WORK. All store credits will be issued to your account. When you make your next purchase, you will simply check a box to indicate that you want to use the store credit on your order.

Finally, paying is simple. I have worked hard to make sure all of the errors are gone. Now, I know that it’s a big claim to say that all of the errors are gone, but I’m willing to say that 99.9% of you will never see an error from our cart.

There are lots of other things that we have done to make this cart better. I know that I am probably not even mentioning half of them. That’s why I say you should just check it out yourself.

I truly hope that you enjoy the new cart that we made for you. It has taken months of hard work and late nights.

With that being said, this cart will always be a work in progress. We have lots of new features that we are still working on. When we get them up and running, I will be the first to let you know, right here on the blog.

~Gary

14 Responses to “Gary vs. The Cart – Epic Tale”

1. Pop says:

Worldstart did good when they found and hired you,Gary.I think I can speak for the majority of computer users when I say that contacting tech support either by phone or online is a bloody nightmare!!!The problems are too numerous to mention.Lets just say we all hope and pray we NEVER have to do it…unless it concerns something pertaining to Worldstart.I’ve never called you and only written you once concerning a general problem I found out about.Suffice to say..I would not hesitate to call or contact you by email if I had a question/problem.I’ve been a computer user now for 7 years and I can count on the fingers of one hand(with fingers left over!!!)the techs I’ve delt with that really knew their business and didn’t ask a ton of absurd questions about everything but my problem.I have not as yet used the new cart..but I will soon I’m sure.Nice going,bud.You done good…=:)

2. Norma says:

Alas! I am one of those mom type people that has a hard time figuring out computer things. I try, though, I really do. That’s why I look forward to World Start’s e-mails. I really appreciate them…… and your sense of humor. Thanks and keep up the good work! (I also like Amandas’(?) web sites that she recommends) Norma(73 and counting.)

3. Shirley says:

Well, If it is not broke, don’t fix it… Here is my delema,,, I went to your new shoping cart. Tried to sign, like you said with my e mail address and couldn’t… The site doesn’t recognize me at all. Said that I didn’t have an account!!! What do I do now? register again? Since I am not recognised by your NEW system?? I have lost all the information that I had on my wish list and all the information or my previous orders.
    This is very upseting. Come on Gary, get it fixed right. I have been a customer for many years, and have never had a problem with the previous shoping cart. Have payed by PayPal and didn’t have a problem. Don’t expect you to answer here so have sent an e mail to the Contact Us. thing.

• Gary says:

The new cart requires new accounts. I understand that you may not have had these issues, but i have to consider everyone when writing these things. To get into the new cart, you will have to create a new account.

• David Gibbs says:

Gary, does the new cart have the information of purchases in the past?
        I did have a run-in with the code box in the old cart once, but the good folks there were good enough to give me the credit if I had put in the code.

• Gary says:

Unfortunately, I couldn’t transfer the order history to the new cart. If you need details on a past order, contact customer service and they will be happy to help you.

I know that losing the order history is a pain, but it will never happen again.

• Shirley says:

Ok, thanks Gary. I will set up a new account. WorldStart has been good, never had a problem. I have also used your tips and couldn’t live without WorldStart.

AS far as PayPal is concerned, I quit using them years ago, but I have never have had any problems ordering from WorldStart, Gary. For some reason I never encountered any of the problems you mentioned. Not bad for an old man (78)

5. Apollyon says:

Gary, All smart and pretty, but yet to proven in the field … keep on working on it. I’m sure you will nail it down one day. My only gripe is that a purchaser in South Africa is excluded from purchasing from you directly. Neither do I use PayPal … prefering to Google your exact product from a local supplier, where I don’t have to pay for shipping. Like I previously said … one day you’ll crack it.

• Gary says:

True. Things have been going good so far. Sorry we don’t ship to you. At this time we only ship to Canada and Australia.

6. Gay says:

I, too am new at this stuff, well not real new but I guess you could say, I could drive a tech guy nuts. For if i can’t fix it the first time, I keep asking help. But you all have been good to help me. I love the world start tips and keep everyone of them in a folder. I go bck from time to time and work on my pc. yep, I have fixed things by using your tips page. I don’t understand when some stuff is abbreviated. But I get through. Thanks for trying to make things better for us. Especially the older folk.

7. Kicknbak says:

Hi Gary, This is great news. In the past I’ve gotten so enraged over the lost items and restarting when paying with paypal that I’ve actually cancelled the orders, or rather just forgot about starting over. I look forward to using it again now… Us middle aged (70) folks have little patience. ;-) I’ve been missing a lot of real good deals, I’m sure. Thank you!

8. Zed says:

Hi Gary
    Love the new look of the cart. Didn’t have any trouble with the old one, but as the kids I work with say “it all good”. Just need to say too all of you at W. S. “you do a groovy job”. Your tips and bargains have saved this old tinkerers sanity on many a night. Look forward to using both cart and tips more often in the future.

9. The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.