Hey everyone.

Since this is my first post, I’m gonna start out by sharing a little about myself then I’ll start my rant.

As Steve mentioned in his previous post, I “wear a lot of hats” here at Worldstart. As a matter of fact, most people that work here have lots of hats. I think that’s what makes WS an interesting place.

Some of you may know me as “tech support”, “security article guy” or “free download article guy”. When I started here, that is what I was hired for. But… that quickly changed and now I do a few more things that many of you may not know about. For one, I do a lot of the web page development here. That means that I make the web pages work (please don’t confuse that with making the web pages look cool, that’s Mike’s job). I also help out with the products we sell and I look over the newsletters before anyone else sees them (are you jealous?).

Well, that’s enough of that. Let me get back on track here.

Another thing that I am pretty well known for around the office is my love of Google. I use Google for nearly everything. Email, chatting, documents, spreadsheets, maps, dictionary look-ups, advertising, pictures, videos and of course searching are just a handful of things that I use Google for every day. Heck, I even have everyone at WS using Google for work too!

So, being this big of a fan means that I get super excited whenever Google launches a new product. That’s why when I saw the new Google Buzz, I immediately dropped everything and tried it out. It seemed like a great idea. If I already have everything on Google, why not use a social network made by them for sharing my stuff?

I dove right in and clicked the buzz icon in my email. It immediately took me to a page and asked me to add my friends. I thought “awsome, this is so easy!” and that’s when it hit me. Just because I’m a huge fan of Google doesn’t mean that my friends are.

I started looking at the options to add my friends. My only choices were to add people that already had Google mail or invite my friends. If I invited them, they would need to make a Google profile and join Buzz so I could see what they were doing. This just made me feel like Google Buzz was a hassle.

That’s when I reached my verdict. Social networking has already been done by Myspace and Facebook. We don’t need Google getting involved. I already waste enough time on Facebook looking at my friends’ status messages, why would I want another place where they could tell me (again) what they were doing that day?

I think that Google does great with the features they offer currently and I’m sure they will come out with many more that I will love. I just think that the most important part is that I love them. I don’t want to be responsible for making sure other people use them.

Sure, if i tell a friend about an awesome product and they use it, that’s great. Just don’t require me to tell someone about it so I will like it more. Now, I’m sure that others will disagree with what I’m saying here, but I just can’t justify endorsing Google Buzz.

~Gary.

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “Google, Leave Social Alone. Please.”

1. Gary R says:

I agree. Google has its fingers into every thing else. Why ruin it with a social networking fiasco. Look how often Facebook and Myspace are in the news now, with all the attacks, hacks, and crashes. Google is already in the news enough now, with the Chinese bumping around. I use Google for every thing too….

2. Jack says:

I love Google and most of its products. Like you, I am not sold on Buzz. I’m not a big fan of Facebook, either, but Twitter seems to work for me. For Buzz, there just doesn’t seem to be enough separating it or giving me control.

3. Roxy says:

Amen! I was just sent a request from a Facebook friend to join Facbook Gold for free, while it still is free. I can see why it is being offered free right now – to join you have to give them ALL your Facebook friends. Go jump, dudes! Sounds like to me they are now trying to go around any privacy settings me and my friends have set up on our Facebook accounts!

4. DJ says:

I agree, too much of a good thing gets confusing!

5. Pat W says:

Thanks for that info – now I won’t be tempted to join something else. Thanks for all your hard work. Nice to learn a little about you!

6. Roy says:

Not sure about Buzz but I switched to Google Chrome (bad idea) Said I needed latest Java (down loaded it) made everything slower. Uninstalled Google Shrome! St ill slow. Uninstalled all my Java programs. Then ran Spring Cleaning and defraged. Finally back to speed again. Be careful what you wish for!.

7. Slim says:

I agree 100%. I only use Google for searches right now. The only thing I do on Facebook is play 1 of the games. To be honest I don’t have the time for that, but I like it. I try to be careful so I don’t get into the hacks, but everyone on facebook is open to them, so be careful.

8. iwmpop says:

Wholeheartedly agree.
    Google is magnificent and I’m probably more a fan than you, but we don’t need BUZZ – at least not now.
    I have my doubts also about Google Chat or Google Voice,
    I think they (Google) would be even better if they stayed on the great apps they already donate to my life!

9. Susan says:

I like ranting, too! Social networking used to be a good idea, but I find the concept silly at best unless there is gaming and results; or some news that needs to spread quickly (hope it is the truth, not just someone’s perception). Why do companies always have to play one-upsmanship? More is not always better in this case.
    Google is quite good at meeting needs, but I use dogreatgood.com search engine and funds are raised for rescue animals and shelters.
    I still do not like the idea of Google putting every book, etc., on the internet. There has to be some compensation to authors and or publishers. Google needs to tend to its own knitting and keep upgrading its current content.

10. Teresa says:

Great to get a little insight into WorldStart and what you get up to in there. The social networking scene is too huge for me already. Agree that Buzz is not really necessary. I’ve abandoned Twitter and only occasionally use Facebook – I’m a little older and although I lead a very busy life, don’t really think my friends need to know what I’m up to 24/7 or are hanging out for my posts. My kids (mid 20s) use Facebook and I can’t see them having the time, as you said Gary, to go and post the same info on another site. The Google search engine is great and I use Google Groups.

11. Ernie White says:

I agree also I use Facebook & Myspace & that is all that I need.
    I have a G-mail account but hardly ever use it.
    I love the computer tip’s at WS. I am not a young guy & I don’t know a lot about computers. I don’t even know how to type. I use the 2 fingers & hunt & peck. When I was in school there was no computers. Type claess were mostly for the girl’s. How thing’s have changed!!! I was born way to early I guess?
    I did see all the good car’s & had a few from the 1950′s 60′s 70′s & 80′s, The best music from all them years.
    I don’t care for the music today but then my parents did not like my music either.

12. Zed says:

Great work Gary and kudos to everyone at World Start. You folks have helped me more times then I can count with your tips, since most of my tech know how is still “stone knifes and bear skins”.

13. Chuck Silsbee says:

Google Who? I use Facebook

14. Paula says:

Yes, there may well be enough social sites without Buzz but if Facebook keeps changing their pages, rules etc. then it might be Google to the rescue. Always room for improvement.

15. Sean Healey says:

well I just want to thank you for all the USEFUL tips … but I can’t shre your delight with Google. Their programs (AdWords, AdSense etc.) trick users and can cost quite a bit, if your not careful … Sure, Google is a qualified Search Engine, but I wouldn’t go any further than that with them, myself.

16. Kicknbak says:

I love Google also, but not so much that I want them taking over my PC completely. When they applied their own tool bar in addition to the ones already there, I drew the eline. I can’t quite cope with every application out there wanting their own toolbar/desktop space, hence giving me much less active space for viewing or surfing or working apps. I want my workspace lean and mean, not glitchy and flashy, overly glutted. Could be my age, or could be the extra slow internet service we are forced to put up with down here, land line and dial up.
    So, when Google offered Buzz, I says this could be the one for me… or is it? I haven’t signed up for any of the others, IE, myspace, twitter, or facebook as my privacy is also important to me… something you apparently have to give up to be successful on the chatter circles. I did sign up for facebook one evening while bored, at the suggestion of friends, relatives, school mates, and as I put in some friends, within 3 hours I had so many hits that I couldn’t keep up. Half of them I didn’t even recognize… are there so many people out there that want to chat with anyone, no matter who? I spent the rest of the evening taking my name back off and disabling my little corner of the world. I cannot fathom myself being that important.
    If I ever get so spaced out that I’m searching for stay-busy work, I will again sign up and see what it’s all about. In the meantime I will rely on my emails, landline, cellular, Morse code, smoke signals, and carrier pigeons to get my news out there. I do feel much safer this way also. (Showing my age?)

17. Doniphan says:

I have been into PCs since the mid 80s. Emails are the greatest inovation developed early on and still are the best today. Much more enhanced with document scans and so on.
    I have been asked to join Facebook, Twitter and all the new stuff but see no advantage to the time consuming process.
    I’m in real estate and the other day was asked to Text a request to a listing agent for the lock box combo.
    Sorry, I don’t Text. If you want your listing shown and sold lets stick to conventional communication.
    I called her on her cell for the combo.
    There are too many people trying too hard to develope something better, but most of these inovations are so labor intensive that you don’t have the time nor desire to pursue. Actually, these new things are Fads! People just want to be doing the latest thing to be “In” with their peers. What a waste of time! Even Realtor Associations are pushing this technology because they believe you will gain a whole lot of business from it. It ain’t going to happen.
    Iv’e had a Real Estate web site for over 10 years and have yet to close a deal from a contact there.
    Is the phone, fax and email going to go away soon?
    I don’t think so either!
    Doniphan

18. tech gadget says:

Well I was just searching on Google for some videos and songs of my favorite singers and just came across your blog, generally I just visit blogs and retrieve my required information but this time the useful information that you posted in this post compelled me to reply here and appreciate your good work. I just bookmarked your blog :) .

19. Cameron says:

Hi. I Just wanted to take this opportunity to to mention that I found your blog to be pretty enticing and its overflowing with some rather interesting topics. Thanks for being so honest in your posts and I will be following your blog.

20. TOM BOYLEN says:

GARY,
    I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THIS NEW WAY OF KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH ALL OF YOUR IDEAS AND SEEING WHAT OTHER FOLKS THINK ALSO. BROTHER “KICKNBAK” AND I AGREE ON THE FACT THAT GOOGLE CAN BE CONTROLLING OF OUR COMPUTERS IF WE LET THEM GET A FOOTHOLD. THIS I DO NOT LIKE NOR WILL I PERMIT IT. I LOVE THE SATELITE VIEWS BUT……….THERE AGAIN, I GO TO HAVING PROBLEMS WITH GOOGLE INCHING INTO MY COMPUTER AND I HAVE TO UNINSTALL…………AND I USE “REVO” TO GET IT DONE PROPERLY. ONCE AGAIN, YOU GENTLEMEN AND LADIES ARE DOING A WONDERFUL JOB AND I AM GOING TO STICK AROUND TILL I GET A CALL FROM UPSTAIRS AND HAVE TO LEAVE/ HMMMMMMMM, I WONDER IF YOU COULD GET SOME CONNECTIONS IN HEAVEN AND I COULD STILL READ YOUR COLUMN????
    YOUR LIFE/LONG FAN…………………..TOMMY BOYLEN

21. Leana Hoerl says:

Personally I think that Google Buzz’s release was a little premature, especially the privacy concerns. I really think that Google’s most likely going down the same path that Windows went through around the era of Windows 98. There releases and products appear to be less and less planned and I also feel like rushed to attempt to be a first to market, and or compete with a competitors release. The breach of privacy was an issue that didn’t require a PHD in CS to figure out, a very simple idea session could have shown these issues. Do you think Google may have received too much credit last year?

22. Sonny says:

Wish I knew more about Google and the varied uses that others keep talking about. Every time I’ve attempted to use Google for research, I’ve had good luck and immediate response. Just wish I knew more about how to use all the functions of the product. With regard to Social applications, I would rather not confuse the process any more than it is for me. I’ll stay with FB and try to learn more about the essentials of Google as it is.

23. Jane says:

Good Blog today. I also agree that Google doesn’t need anymore “tools” to add to the things that they already do well. Why do they want to start another Social Cyber Group? It’s nuts enough just trying to keep up with the Facebook friends I already have! I hope they don’t loose sight on the great things Google aready has.
    -Jane

24. Paddytheirishman says:

I would rather see Google getting their talked about virtual hard disk going. We definitely do not need more social networking.

25. Virginia says:

I personally don’t like facebook, too much to-do about nothing, boring, doesn’t alway work, etc., etc., etc. I come here everyday to see what’s shakin’. WorldStart team, I wish you all a complete success on your blog.

You are so right, Virginia. A couple of friends as me to join FB so I finally did. I haven’t seen anything that really turns me on to keep going into it just to see a bunch of things sent to me from game players. I am too interested in what is going on internetwise than to play games. I am not as experienced as some are in here but I learn fast and was sure glad to see WS blogging.

You are so right, Virginia. A couple of friends ask me to join FB so I finally did. I haven’t seen anything that really turns me on to keep going into it just to see a bunch of things sent to me from game players. I am too interested in what is going on internetwise than to play games. I am not as experienced as some are in here but I learn fast and was sure glad to see WS blogging.

28. i would not have figured this had been trendy some years back yet somehow it’s surprising the way age evolves the manner in which you see a mixture of ideas, many thanks with regard to the piece of writing it truly is enjoyable to go through anything sensible now and then in lieu of the normal nonsense mascarading as information sites on the internet, cheers